How to Join the Library
Membership is FREE if you live in the Rotorua District or you live within the InfoShare boundaries.
The following conditions apply to both the Central City Library and the Mobile Library.
Adults (18 yrs and over)
Bring to the Library:
1. One form of signed identification (e.g. Driver's licence, passport)
2. Current proof of your address (e.g. a letter posted to you, a current utility bill)
Print an Adult Membership Form (left)- fill it in and bring it with you. Alternatively, pick one up from the Service Desk or the Mobile Library Bus.
Teens & Children's Registration
Teens and Children need to come to the Library with a Under 18 Membership Form signed by a parent or guardian.
If the parent or guardian does not have a current Rotorua Library card, they must also bring in signed ID and current proof of address to accompany the child's or teen's registration form.
A membership card allows you to borrow items from both the Central City Library and the Mobile Library. You may borrow 5 items when you join. After these 2 items have been returned, the maximum number that may be issued on one card increases to 40.
You can join Rotorua District Library immediately by clicking on MY ACCOUNT on the right side of this page, but will still need to bring in your signed ID and current proof of address when you next come to the library.
CLASS OR ORGANISATION CARDS
If you are a class teacher either at a school or pre-school centre, you may be eligible to apply for a CLASS CARD or an ORGANISATION CARD. There are special terms and conditions for these cards. To apply click on the appropriate form.
If you are unable to visit either the main library or the Mobile Library because of illness or infirmity, you may be eligible to register as a Housebound Borrower. This entitles you to receive packs of books on a fortnightly basis from the library delivered to your residence. This is a free service made possible by the support of volunteer drivers.
If you live outside Rotorua District you can still join the library.
Rotorua InfoShare Borrower - If you reside within the Library InfoShare District boundaries (Rotorua, Western Bay and Taupo). There is no cost to join.
Subscription Borrower - If you reside in New zealand but outside the Infoshare District boundaries. The cost is $30 per year. Allows you to borrow from the library and use all the resources.
Visitor - If you are just in town for a short visit. Cost $50.00 ($40.00 refundable on return of all items borrowed)
Conditions of Membership
- Your membership entitles you to borrow items from the Rotorua Public District Library and the Mobile Library bus, and requires you to return them by the due date.
- For your protection and safety, DO NOT lend your library card, or any items borrowed. You are responsible for all items borrowed on your card, and for overdues or other charges incurred on your card. Let the Library know immediately if your card is lost or stolen. You will need to produce identification for a replacement card. Cost $3.
- For your own protection you are required to produce your card to borrow items.
NO CARD = NO BORROWING rule applies.
- It is illegal to remove any items from the Library without first having them issued at the Issues/Help Desks. Offenders will be prosecuted.
- Two renewals are permitted on most items not required by another member. Renewals may be made over the telephone, email here or by logging onto the catalogue here. Rental items will incur the rental charges again on renewal.
Items returned after the due date incur overdue charges, 20c. per day per adult item, and 10c. per day per child’s item (Hot Picks and DVDs are $1 per day). These charges are calculated upon the return of the item and will be charged to your card. A reminder overdue notice is sent 10 days after the due date and a second notice at 20 days detailing the cost of the item(s) outstanding. At 34 days the item is considered lost and an account for the full replacement cost is sent. Failure to respond within 14 days of this account being sent will result in the outstanding account being passed on to our debt collection agency who will add their charges to the amount payable.
NB. If a lost item is returned there will still be overdue and administration charges to pay.
An automatic block will be placed on your card for any amounts exceeding $3.00 in total, and it is Library policy to link family cards when there are blocks.
- Membership for all children under the age of 18 requires parental/guardian consent. Parents/Guardians are required to act as guarantor and acknowledge responsibility for all items issued and any charges incurred by children in their care.
- Library staff take no responsibility for borrower’s selection of items. Items specifically labelled for Teens cover a wide range and will not necessarily suit all teenagers. Parental supervision may be appropriate.
- The personal information you provided on joining the library is for the purposes of library consortium administration only. This information will not be provided to anyone else without your prior consent except where the information is sent to a debt collection agency to facilitate the return of lost items or payment of overdue accounts. Your membership will be updated annually. It is your responsibility to report any change of address.
- Your membership may expire if your card is not used to borrow items during any 2-year period.
PLEASE let the Library know if you would like to discuss your membership, borrowing or use of the Library.
WELCOME TO YOUR LIBRARY
Nau mai, haere mai ki Te Whare o te Maatauranga