Rongo Māori/Māori Information
We shelve our books according to the Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC)
system, this system covers all subjects located in the library. We add
the first three letters of the authors surname or book title (if there
is no author) to help distinguish between items with the same number.
The number sequence is identical for all Māori collections; items are
identified by a black & white koru on the spine label.
How to find material written in Māori using our Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)
easy way to look for Māori material in the library is the computer
catalogue (OPAC) by keyword. This usually means tips for searching the
catalogue, where to find items on the shelf and any key resources.
1. At the Catalogue screen (OPAC) type in Māori language.
2. This will take you to a screen with a list of material relating to the Māori language.
3. To find out where items are located, press show details.
4. This will take you to a screen with a list of copy and holding information
5. To find out where items are located within the library, follow the instructions on the screen
Kaupapa Māori/Māori Subjects
where Māori topics are covered in two or more areas of collection,
subject guides help direct you to subjects that are similar; for
assistance please ask a librarian.
Art/ artists 704.03994 - 709.011
Carved Meeting Houses 726.9
Flax weaving 746.42
Modern Artists 759.993
Tikanga a Iwi-Culture/Social Sciences
Ethnic identity 305.8994
Customs (marae visits) 390.09931
Treaty issues 323.11994
Land (public ownership) 331
Raupatu Document Bank 346.0432
Legal aspects 346.872
Economics-customary fishing 333.95616
Fishing (including claims) 639.2
Health (public) 362.1
Medicinal plants 581.634
History 993.1 – 1004
Regional Histories 993 – 993.96