The Family History - Genealogy Collections are housed on Paparua - the second floor of Rotorua Library and are part of the Research & Heritage Collections.
In August 2021 we highlight our Family History collections as well as offering talks and extra services for those interested in genealogy. Find out what events are being held for Family History Month.
Resources for researching your family's history
- Free access to Ancestry Library Edition. You can access this site on the library computers or bring in your own laptop and connect via the library's WIFI. If you are at home, Ancestry Library Edition is currently free to access via our website from home. For tips on using Ancestry, watch some short videos on our Niche Academy page.
- Family History Lending Collections: Our lending magazines and books contain guides to family and iwi history research. These can be found near the entrance to the Heritage area.
- Family History Reference Collections: Visit the Heritage area to research the Family History Reference collections. The reference collections are owned partly by the Rotorua Library and partly by the Rotorua Branch of the New Zealand Society of Genealogists (NZSG).
- Microfiche and Microfilm Records: We hold a number of records on microfiche and microfilm including historical births, deaths and marriages and local newspapers.
- Some of the sources you can also explore in the Library are local histories, shipping information, electoral rolls, war histories, cemetery databases, biographies, etc. Search on the catalogue or ask the Library staff to help you access material relevant to your family history.
We also have:
- Three computers that provide access to the library catalogue and online genealogy / library databases.
- A CD-ROM computer with genealogy databases, NZ Gazette archive
- Two microfiche readers and one computer with a scanner which can print copies of microfiche and microfilm scans.
Family History Research Assistance
Volunteers from the Rotorua Branch of the New Zealand Society of Genealogists are happy to chat with you about your family history research queries.
Date: 2nd Wednesday of every month (except December & January)
Time: Drop in from 10am - 1pm