Runs from Saturday 29
June to Sunday 4 August 2019
For young people aged 0 to 18 years
As you read, track your progress on the map of Lake Rotorua and
cross your time off as you go- each marker equals 15 minutes of reading. Read for a minimum of 6 hours to receive a
certificate and to go into the draw to win. Prizes include a share of $500 worth
of Whitcoulls vouchers.
By reading you can also reduce the fines owed on yours or a
family member’s library card. For every 15 minutes you read we will reward you
by taking $2 off the amount you owe for overdue books. Please see the
frequently asked questions for more information.
We’re encouraging grown-ups to get involved too, so ask them
to read to you. It’s great fun and counts towards your reading hours.
PLUS: if you read
more than 15+ hours you will automatically be entered into a bonus prize draw!
When you complete the sheet return it to Te Aka Mauri
Rotorua Library by:
4pm Sunday 4 August 2019
Pick up an entry form from the Library or print off from HERE, fill it out and return to us when completed.
Frequently asked questions
How many books do I have to read?
As many as you like. One really long chapter book might take you more than six hours to complete, or you might be able to read dozens of picture books in six hours.
How long do I have to read for?
You need to read for at least 6 hours to be entered into the prize draw. If you want to read away your fines you need to read for 15 minutes for every $2 we waive from your account. E.g. if you have $17 in fines you will need to read for 9 15 minute blocks or 2 hours and 15 minutes, or if you have $8 in fines you will need to read for 1 hour.
Can I read for more than 6 hours?
If you are up to the challenge, please challenge yourself to complete or attempt more than one sheet. If you read for more than 15 hours you will be entered into a bonus prize draw.
When can I collect my Certificate?
From 9am on Thursday 7 August, prizes and certificates will be available to collect. Major Prize winners will be notified by email and phone on Wednesday 6 August. Prizes and certificates will be held until Sunday 1 September 2019.
My school has a Reading Programme. Can I still participate in the Library Programme?
Of course you can. This programme can support the programme that your school is offering. The aim of reading programmes is to encourage you to read during the school holidays.
I'm not from Rotorua. Can I still participate?
Yes, we will also require details of someone you know in Rotorua with an active Library Card (Nana, Grandad, Koro, Aunty) and who will be able to collect your certificate and any prizes.
When will my overdue fines be waived?
If you wish to have your fines waived while you are in the Library, please hand your completed sheets to a staff member. All sheets places in the entry box will be waived by 9 am the following week day. E.g. If you return your sheet on Friday, fines will be waived by 9am on Monday.
What fines can be waived?
All fines for overdue books and the processing fees from lost books can be read away.
There are fines on my card and on an adults card, can I read away both?
Yes! You will need to indicate on your reading form which card or cards you are reading away fines on.
I have lost some books can I read away the charges from these too?
No, we would like you to return the items you borrow. The cost of lost items cannot be reduced by participating in this programme.
Terms and conditions
- By entering you are agreeing that the information provided to Rotorua Library is true, current and complete
- The time marked must be a true representation of the time a young person (a person under 18) has spent reading or being read to by another person.
- All entrants must provide a valid Rotorua Library Card number
- Entries received after 4pm Sunday 4 August will not be accepted
- All prizes will be drawn in a random draw
- Rotorua Library reserves the right to exclude entry, prizes or other rewards if an entry is in breach of these terms and conditions or advantage is gained by fraud
- All voucher prizes are awarded in good faith that they will be redeemed by the retailer for the value they were purchased for. Rotorua Library accepts no responsibility if the retailers terms and conditions change. No compensation will be offered by Rotorua Library.
- Reasonable attempts will be made to contact Competition and Giveaway winners using details provided on their entry forms. Should those attempts fail another winner will be drawn or selected.
- All prizes must be collected by 4pm Sunday 1 September
- Rotorua Library's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.